At Seabrook Primary School, our Mathematics Curriculum aims to provide a sequential, activity-based program which enables student learning through the provision of developmental experiences that relate to real life situations. In the PYP, mathematics is viewed as a vehicle to support inquiry, providing a global language through which we make sense of the world around us.
Mathematics provides students with access to important mathematical ideas, knowledge and skills that they will draw on in their personal and work lives. The curriculum also provides students, as life-long learners, with the basis on which further study and research in mathematics and applications in many other fields are built.
The Mathematics curriculum focuses on developing increasingly sophisticated and refined mathematical understanding, fluency, reasoning, modelling and problem-solving. These capabilities enable students to respond to familiar and unfamiliar situations by employing mathematics to make informed decisions and solve problems efficiently
To develop in children a positive attitude and appreciation of mathematics as part of everyday life, that is useful, relevant and enjoyable.
- To recognise and cater for children’s individual needs and build upon previous experiences.
- To provide opportunities to develop skills, concepts and strategies necessary to function effectively in mathematical situations.
- To provide support for parents so they may increase their understanding and involvement in their children’s mathematical development.
- To understand the dynamic role of mathematics in a changing world.
- To foster confidence and independence in solving mathematical problems.
The Seabrook Primary School Mathematic Curriculum encompasses the following dimensions: -
- Number and Algebra
- Measurement and Geometry
- Statistics and Probability
as outlined in the Victorian Curriculum. In each grade, students will work according to their ability and teachers will plan through direct experiences to meet their individual needs. Efforts will be made to broaden as well as extend children’s understanding of mathematical concepts.
Learning specialists and leaders will support classroom teams in the development of learning and teaching practice that:
- provide maths lessons in conjunction with Victorian Curriculum progression points
- includes structured, purposeful inquiry as the main approach to teaching and learning mathematics in the PYP
- cater for the individual ability range of the children and provide extra support through Individual Learning Improvement Plans where required
- relate to everyday experiences, with real-life problem solving
- provide Professional Development in mathematics which is ongoing and extends theory and practice
- builds upon previous learning
- encourages estimation and approximation skills
- encourages parental participation in activities designed to develop a greater understanding of current approaches to mathematics
- includes the use of ICT, such as Mathletics,
- makes links with transdisciplinary themes within the programme of inquiry.
This will enhance student’s understanding of mathematics in the world.
Based on priority needs, Assistant Principals and Year Level leaders will determine the allocation of funds within the development and sustainability of a comprehensive Mathematics program, in line with the Schools Global Budget.
- A maths program budget will be developed in line with the school global budget to manage resources.
- Materials and equipment will be shared equitably between year levels.
- Maths reference books will be added to the library to assist with the development and planning of mathematical programs.
- Maths resources will be maintained by Year Level leaders
- Whole School Information Technology Resourcing will be maintained and monitored. (Mathletics)
The Maths Program will be monitored and assessed through:
- outcome measures stated in the Strategic Plan and AIP
- mathematics continua through the Victorian Curriculum
- Individual Learning Improvement Plans.
- twice yearly written children’s reports and regular learning updates
- NAPLAN, PAT TESTING , PRE AND POST TESTS
- DET National Assessment Program in Numeracy
- Numeracy interview.